If you think about the job of a fashion designer, part of it is to devise a collection that works together for the brand. Therefore, all dresses, tops, skirts and trousers are usually interchangeable within each range to encourage the client to stay shopping with the same company showing devoted loyalty. This is the type of collection that would be produced and this can form your capsule wardrobe if you are clever in your colour and fabric choices.
Given these 12 items you would be able to create 40 outfits with them. What more does a woman need?
- One good quality woollen coat, classic in style but perhaps a strong colour, one trenchcoat short or long, classic usually works the best, to use anywhere (or a padded outdoor jacket for more casual wear).
- Two well fitted superb good quality suits, (or more commonly these days two sets of separates) which work well together jackets trousers/skirts.
- Two pieces of good quality knitwear a bold coloured cardigan and preferably a loose V-necked merino or cashmere sweater in a simple neutral colour eg: taupe, black, navy or grey.
- One day dress in black/navy – corporate coloured jersey with sleeves, which can be worn from day through to evening, with flats or heels, not too revealing or covered up or can be worn with your cardigan.
- One stunning but simple evening dress in a bold colour of your choice if you suit black this is the easiest to wear, if not go for a colour that you suit red, pink, emerald, purple, blue or cream are good bold choices depending upon your colour type. This should fit well and be of sumptuous cloth, preferably lined and working well with one of your coats/jackets.
- A pair of simple good fitting jeans, which feel ultra comfy and look good with everything else in your wardrobe, pick a good make but ensure comfort and fit comes before brand.
- One pair of sandals/loafers or ballet pump flats, a pair of heeled leather court shoe/boots a stylish and elegant pair of evening shoes and a pair of boots/hightops.
- Finally at least 4 tops or shirts in a variety of styles and colours and fabrics to dress up your suits, preferably interchangeable with both suits and jeans. This is where you can add to the selection and ring the changes.
If you start to imagine all of these together in different combinations, I am sure you too could create at least 40 outfits. I managed 57 varieties with all the different accessories, tops and permutations bearing in mind that all the colours should work together.