Black is the perfect colour for evening wear so I am sharing a few little black dress (LBD) tips. This might help you wear that black dress again, but maybe with a few 80’s retro updates. Black benefits from added texture and colour, so if you want a quick 2015 fix here are 10 ways to change your look.
Take one LBD and . . .
- swop the tailored jacket for a leather biker jacket.
- add patent leather accessories or a faux-fur wrap for texture.
- wear it with a turtle (polo)neck or lace top underneath and a long necklace.
- wear a white or plain bright coloured shirt underneath and leave the collar and cuffs extended. Add black/white or colourful jewellery to give an 80’s graphic feel.
- try some animal prints, (orange browns or monochrome) belt, scarf or shoes.
- find a cute net underskirt or some black polka dot/striped or very open fishnet tights.
- brightly coloured shoes work well, try red, cobalt blue, metallic or two tone brogues.
- experiment with glitzy jewellery, such as wide cuffs or crystals…
- or colourful, bohemian jewellery works with longer dresses.
- shorten your dress and try wearing it with a sweatshirt or over-knee boots and leggings or with raw-edged skinny jeans and chunky Chelsea boots.
Caution: Just try one addition at a time, so that you don’t lose that chic effect!
The LBD is so timeless whether worn à la Audrey with classic pumps and pearls or by radical punks, goths and showbiz celebrities. We had a very stylish fashion event at Gallery Artemis this month, with a talk about the nature of the LBD and how it has shaped our view of many of the ‘femmes fatales’ who are famous style icons today.